Leveraging LinkedIn for your Career Panel C
FA Society New York hosted the Leveraging LinkedIn for your Career event on June 5, 2018, which featured a high-level discussion among several LinkedIn panelists. This event provided valuable insights on content sharing, thought leadership, strategic networking, and branding suggestions. Speakers included Sandra Long, President of Post Road Consulting LLC who focuses on personal branding, networking, social selling, and social recruiting; Melanie Szlucha, Owner of Redinc LLC, who provides job search coaching, resume writing, and job interview coaching; Marc Halper, a self-described multi-preneur who spreads his LinkedIn and networking evangelism to train & coach others; and Vikram Rajan, Co-founder of phoneBlogger.net which is the internet referral service for financial professionals, accountants, and attorneys.
Why use LinkedIn?
LinkedIn allows its members to connect with one another in an online social professional network. However, many do not use it as an important tool in their professional career.LinkedIn has great value whether you are looking for a job or happily employed.
- Focus on referrals – LinkedIn makes it easy by showing you your 1st, 2nd, and 3rdconnections
- Use I pronouns and power verbs
- Reach out to former alumni for assistance
- Your LinkedIn profile should complement your resume. It should NOT be a copy of it
- You need a really good LinkedIn profile regardless of whether you are looking for a job or not
- Get Involved!You do not need to be the creator of a post. You can like, comment, and share your connections post. This allows you to stay “top of mind”
- Always take the “recruiter” call even if you are not looking.
What Should You Focus On?
- Your unique value
- Building a strategic network
- Posting relevant content
Hiring Managers Look for LinkedIn Profile
At the end of the day, hiring managers are looking for the best fit. LinkedIn gives you an opportunity to stand out! Focus on making sure that your profile is relevant, updated, and branded correctly.
- Engage!Like, comment, and share post within your inner circle
- Showcase your thought leadership
- Write the best LinkedIn profile you can in your own voice
- Invest in yourself