The Research Challenge spans one academic year, and consists of the following components:
- Training in Research and Report Writing: Students receive training by attending CFANY-sponsored seminars on Tools for Analysts, Presentation Skills, Report Writing, and Ethics. Seminar instructors are selected by CFANY.
- Analysis of a Public Company: Teams research the same public company, selected by CFANY, including a question-and-answer session with company management.
- Mentoring by a Financial Market Professional who advises and critiques the team’s report.
- Assessment of Written Reports: A group of volunteer graders selected from CFANY’s membership assess the written research reports.
- First-Round Presentation to High-Profile Wall Street Experts: All teams present their research to Wall Street experts. The experts choose the “final four” who have the strongest research to present their final report.
- Final-Four Presentation to a High-Profile Wall Street Experts: The “final four” present their research to a panel of respected Wall Street experts. The winning team is selected based on the combined scores for the written report and the presentation.
CFA Society New York is pleased to announce that students who participated in the CFA Research Challenge in the Greater New York region in 2019, may apply to receive scholarship funds from the Heloise Ham fund via the Graham Center. A limited number of scholarships will be awarded. To apply, and for more information about the fund and how to qualify, click the button below.
Schedule of Events
|Fri. Oct. 26||CFA Institute Research Competition Kicks Off at CFA Society New York|
Lunch: 12:00 – 12:45 p.m.
|Fri. November 9||Deadline to register with CFA Institute (approved students)|
|Fri. Dec. 8||Deadline for CFA Society New York to approve team member substitutions|
|Thurs. January 10||Deadline to register approved substitutes with CFA Institute|
|Mon. January 14||The first draft of Research Report due to Mentors and Faculty Advisors|
|Thurs. January 24||Submit Final Research Report as a PDF to Vanessa Ceballos & Mario Carias|
Deadline: 12:00 p.m.
|Fri. February 1||Presentation from Toastmasters|
“How to Make a Killer Presentation”
Location: CFA Society New York (or online)
|Thurs. February 14||Submit PDF version of presentations by 10:00 a.m to V[email protected] and [email protected].|
|Fri. February 15||First Round Presentations |
CFA Society New York, 8:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., Team’s time slot TBA (approx. 10 days prior)
|Fri, March 1||CFANY Final Four Competition|
|Tuesday/Wednesday, April 23-24||Americas Regional of competition in New York, NY|
|Thursday, April 25||Global Final Competition in New York, NY|
Kaplan Schweser University Offerings
Kaplan has been involved in education since 1938, and our partnerships help both students and universities succeed. We empower students to gain a competitive edge by providing the resources they need to start and advance their careers. Our university partnerships allow schools to add value to their current curricula and help meet the demands of students preparing for their professional lives.
Whether you are looking to offer an on campus course for your students, or you are sitting for an exam yourself, Schweser has you covered. Learn how we can provide structure, resources, and support for your university review program, including discounted materials for yourself and your students.
Have you considered your next step after college? Whether you are thinking about continuing your education with professional designations, such as the CFA® charter, or still trying to find the right career path, we have the resources you need, with your budget in mind.
CFA Society New York has over 35 teams participating in this year’s CFA Research Challenge. We are looking for industry mentors, graders, and judges to work with these teams! This is an excellent opportunity to provide guidance, direction, suggestions, and feedback to student teams participating in the challenge – and a great way to gain mentorship experience!
If you are interested in being a mentor, grader, or judge for the Research Challenge please contact both